History

Kitsons Solicitors - History

Kitsons was established in 1826 at 2 Vaughan Parade, Torquay by William Kitson.

He was both a solicitor and a banker. He became known as “the maker of Torquay” and was largely responsible for the development of the Warberries, Wellswood and the Lincombes and for the construction of Haldon Pier and outer harbour.

Members of the Kitson family continued to run the Firm during the remainder of the 19th century. The last of them, Charles William Kitson, retired in 1900. In 1972, Kitsons merged with Dymond & Co, a Firm established in 1852 that was closely associated with the Cary family in Torquay, to become Kitson Dymond & Easterbrook. The name was later changed back to simply Kitsons. In 1985, Kitsons acquired the practice of H J Barnett in Ashburton. Coincidentally, it was in Ashburton in 1817 that William Kitson began to train as a solicitor in his uncle’s practice.

In 1989, Kitsons opened a Newton Abbot office at 14 Devon Square and in 1996 acquired the practice of Wilde & Co in Newton Abbot. The combined Firm then practised as Kitsons at the Devon Square offices. On the 2nd April 2001, the practice of Kitsons merged with the long established practice of Hutchings & Plum, whose offices were at Hagley House, 38-40 The Terrace, Torquay. Hutchings & Plum was founded by Ernest Hutchings who first practised law in Torquay in 1899. He later joined Samuel Easterbrook in the Firm founded by William Kitson, following which the Firm practised as Kitson Hutchings Easterbrook & Co from the offices in Vaughan Parade.

In 1945, Samuel Easterbrook and Ernest Hutchings agreed to part company and Ernest Hutchings set up in practice with his son John (Jack) at Carlton Chambers further down Vaughan Parade, where they practised as Hutchings & Hutchings. They merged with G Langwell Plum in 1948 and became Hutchings Hutchings & Plum. In the early 1980s, Hutchings Hutchings & Plum moved from Vaughan Parade to Hagley House, The Terrace.

In April 2001, the former Firms of Kitsons and Hutchings & Plum merged to form Kitson Hutchings. Then in April 2010, to coincide with the relocation of the Firm’s head office from Hagley House to Minerva House at Edginswell in Torquay, the Firm rebranded and became Kitsons LLP.

The Firm now has one office in Torquay, with branch offices in Exeter and Plympton (Plymouth).

What our customers say about us...

Friendly, professional and clear advice comes as standard at Kitsons. However, what singles out their excellent service is that this is delivered with the utmost courtesy, consideration and kindness, by the whole team and cannot be bettered.